COPENHAGEN, Denmark, March 10, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- TORM posted a loss before tax of USD 85 million for 2010 prior to impairment charge and vessel sale adjustment, in line with the latest forecast. "Fleet optimisation and effective utilisation of scale benefits secured earnings above market benchmarks, but the result is not satisfactory," CEO Jacob Meldgaard states.
- The result before tax in 2010 was a loss of USD 136 million. The result was impacted by an impairment charge of USD 35 million relating to the Company's investment in FR8 and a loss of USD 16 million from the sale of the two Kamsarmax dry bulk newbuildings previously announced to be recognised in the first quarter of 2011. However, the new owners took delivery in early 2011 and the loss was recognised in 2010.
- In 2010, the Tanker Division's earnings were negatively impacted by continued low freight rates. The tanker market was marked by the ample tonnage supply in 2010, and demand was negatively impacted by general absence of arbitrage opportunities, limited use of vessels for floating storage in the second half of 2010 and a general low gasoline consumption in the USA.
- The bulk freight rates were volatile in 2010, but this volatility had limited impact on TORM's earnings due to the Company's high coverage.
- The result for 2010 was positively impacted by USD 2 million net gain from sale of vessels.This consists of a profit of USD 18 million from the sale of two dry bulk carriers, sold during the fourth quarter of 2009 but delivered to the new owners in 2010, and a loss of USD 16 million from the sale of two Kamsarmax dry bulk newbuildings with delivery in 2011.
- TORM's efficiency programme "Greater Efficiency Power" has in line with projections resulted in cost savings of USD 50 million in 2010 compared to 2008 operating levels, corresponding to approximately 20%.
- In December 2010, TORM entered into a financial agreement of USD 59 million for the Company's two Kamsarmax newbuildings with delivery in 2012 and 2013. Following this, TORM's cash and undrawn credit facilities totalled USD 351 million at 31 December 2010. CAPEX remaining for the order book amounted to USD 258 million. TORM has a number of initiatives including refinancing of existing loan facilities which will add further to cash and funding available.
- As of 31 December 2010, equity amounted to USD 1,115 million (DKK 6,260 million), corresponding to USD 16.1 per share (DKK 90.3) excluding treasury shares, giving TORM an equity ratio of 34%.
- TORM calculates the long-term earnings potential of its fleet based on discounted expected future cash flows in accordance with IFRS. The calculated value of the fleet as of 31 December 2010 supports book values.
- As of 31 December 2010, 16% of the total earning days in the Tanker Division for 2011 had been covered at a rate of USD/day 16,103 and 73% of the total earning days in the Bulk Division at a rate of USD/day 16,896.
- Due to continued adverse market conditions TORM forecasts a loss before tax of USD 100 – 125 million for the full year 2011. As 30,949 earning days are unfixed at year-end 2010, a change in freight rates of USD/day 1,000 impacts profit before tax by USD 31 million. The forecast includes a loss of USD 6 million from the announced sale of the MR product tanker, Faja de Oro. The loss will be recognised in the first quarter of 2011 upon delivery of the vessel to the new owner.
- The Board of Directors recommends that no dividend will be distributed for the year 2010.
Jacob Meldgaard, CEO, , tel.: +45 39 17 92 00
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
Every recommendation goes through 3 layers of intense scrutinyquantitative, fundamental and technical analysisto maximize profit potential and minimize risk.
Our options trading pros provide over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.