- Net loss in the fourth quarter of $34.7 million
- Completion of remainder of $295 million recapitalization
- $50 million decline in nonperforming assets during the fourth quarter
NORFOLK, Va., March 9, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Hampton Roads Bankshares, Inc. (the "Company") (Nasdaq:HMPR), the holding company of Bank of Hampton Roads and Shore Bank, today announced financial results for the fourth quarter and full year of 2010. The Company reported a net loss of $34.7 million for the quarter, compared to a net loss (as restated) of $152.2 million for the fourth quarter of 2009. For the full year the Company reported a net loss of $211.3 million, with a net loss to common shareholders of $99.2 million. The full year loss included provisions for loan losses of $211.8 million.
During the fourth quarter, the Company completed the remainder of its $295 million capital raise, resulting in an additional $60 million of equity capital during the quarter. "As one of the few financial institutions successfully recapitalized in 2010, we are pleased to have our capital raise completed," said John A. B. "Andy" Davies, Jr., President and Chief Executive Officer. "This is the beginning of a new era for the Company, its shareholders, loyal customers and our team members."
As of December 31, 2010, the Company exceeded the regulatory capital minimums and Bank of Hampton Roads and Shore Bank were both considered "well-capitalized" under the risk-based capital standards.In addition, the Company reported a decline of $50.1 million in nonperforming assets during the fourth quarter, from $365.5 million at September 30, 2010 to $315.4 million on December 31, 2010. Said Davies, "The decline in nonperforming assets is very gratifying to see and is a real testament to the hard work and effort of our team. Continuing to clean up our balance sheet remains job one. We have and will continue to focus resources specifically on managing our nonperforming assets." Nonperforming assets represented 11% of total assets at December 31, 2010.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV