NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- What are America's corporate leaders saying about the issues of the day? TheStreet's reporters, during the course of their weekly coverage, will pose a thematic question to the business executives they interview.
This week's question: Are you hiring?
|Gary Smith, Ciena CEO|
Ciena (CIEN) CEO Gary Smith: "We are hiring, albeit modestly." Ciena sells optical networking gear to phone companies looking to boost traffic capacity. The Linthicum, Maryland-based company is in the final stages of integrating a large acquisition of Nortel's infrastructure business, which doesn't exactly put Ciena in expansion mode.The combination of Ciena's business with Nortel's unit has led to some "rationalization" of staff sizes, Smith said. "But synergies isn't necessarily a euphemism for firing," he said, explaining the give-and-take in adjusting the business. Smith says Ciena is hiring in areas where it hopes to find growth amid a sputtering economic recovery. "People are still cautious and mindful of the uncertainties," says Smith, referring to the outlook of his customers. "The sentiment is generally better than it was a year ago, when I'd say people were more cautious," he says. "We will end up the year with more employees than we had when we started the year," Smith said. And those hires will be "all over the globe, not just in North America."
|Andy Miller, Polycom president and CEO|
Informatica (INFA) CEO Sohaib Abbasi: "We have hired every quarter, even during the recession," says the chief executive of the data integration software provider, which say revenue jump by 30% in 2010. The Redwood City, California company benefited not only from the cyclical economic recovery, but also from secular growth in the social networking and could computing sectors.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV