NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- What iPad 2?
Despite the unsurprising hype surrounding the recent release of Apple's new tablet -- which hits store shelves today -- more than 56% of TheStreet readers would rather wait to buy Research In Motion's (RIMM) long-awaited PlayBook device.
Of the 1,850 readers who participated in our poll, about 34% said they would purchase Apple's (AAPL) iPad, while the remaining respondents were split between Google (GOOG) Android-based tablets like Samsung's Galaxy Tab and Motorola's (MMI) Xoom.
|The PlayBook is the tablet of choice for TheStreet readers.|
But it's RIM's PlayBook that has readers most excited, despite the scant details available about the device. The PlayBook, rumored to be released sometime this spring, has a 7-inch screen, includes front and rear-facing cameras and supports multi-tasking and Flash.It may also have access to Android's more than 130,000 apps, according to reports. RIM is looking to get into the rapidly-exploding tablet sector, as its share of the U.S. smartphone platform market declines. The company represented 30.4% of the market in the three-month period ending in January, down from 35.8% in the previous quarter, according to Comscore. In terms of tablets, Gartner expects 54.8 million units to ship in 2011, up from 19.5 million last year. --Written by Olivia Oran in New York.
>To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/Ozoran. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV