Bill Gross Said Exiting Treasuries
The latest holdings of Pimco's flagship Total Return Fund (PTTRX) are yet to be publicly reported. Zero Hedge did not disclose the source of its information.
"After sporting $28.6 billion in "government related" securities, TRF dropped to $0.0, while its cash holdings surged from $11.9 billion to $54.5 billion (based on total TRF holdings of $236.9 billion as of February 28)," the report noted.
If true, it might mean that Gross is predicting the end of "QE2" (quantitative easing, or Treasury purchases, by the Federal Reserve) in June and probably does not expect further easing or QE3, from the Fed.In his latest quarterly outlook, the high-profile bond investor said that yields could spike higher when the Fed ends QE2 in June. According to Gross, quantitative easing has kept yields artificially low so far. He estimates that Treasury yields are perhaps 150 basis points too low when viewed in a historical context and when compared with an expected nominal GDP growth of 5%. Once the Fed rips off the QE2 Band-Aid, bond investors will likely demand a higher yield. "Twenty-five basis point policy rates for an 'extended period of time' may not be enough to entice arbitrage Treasury buyers, nor bond fund asset allocators to re-enter a Treasury market at today's artificially low yields," Gross argued in his outlook. "Yields may have to go higher, maybe even much higher to attract buying interest." A Pimco spokesperson could not be reached for comment at the time this article was published. --Written by Shanthi Bharatwaj in New York
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Shanthi Bharatwaj. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/shavenk. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV