3 Resource Stock Short-Squeeze Opportunities
While commodity stocks generally elicit thoughts of miners, growers and drillers, power generation firms shouldn't be left out of the group. Today's robust energy markets include electric power trading -- and like any oil company, generation firms ultimately see their profitability ebb and flow with electric rates beyond their control.
One of the most interesting generation firms out there is TransAlta (TAC), a Canadian merchant generation utility that owns around 8,700 megawatts of capacity -- nearly a quarter of which is green hydro power.TransAlta has long-term contracts in place for much of its output capacity, a feature that vastly reduces risks to TAC and makes earnings highly predictable. Even so, those contracts limit the upside TransAlta can enjoy in inflationary environments where rates are rising. As a result, the company is working toward developing new generation assets that won't be tied down by power purchase agreements. Despite a healthy balance sheet and a dividend that rings in at 5.69% right now, short-sellers have made big bets against this stock. The company's short interest ratio currently rings in at a massive 32.5, suggesting that it would take more than six weeks of buying for short-sellers to cover at current volume levels. With a C hold rating from TheStreet Ratings, TransAlta is one of the top-rated independent power producer stocks. To see this week's trades in action, check out the Resource Stock Short Squeezes 2011 portfolio on Stockpickr. -- Written by Jonas Elmerraji in Baltimore.
Twitter and become a fan on Facebook.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV