Colleges Nurture World-Changing Inventions
BOSTON (TheStreet) -- College campuses are an increasingly fertile breeding ground for inventors, many of whom have an eye on the global marketplace.
Each year, the National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance hosts its annual Open Minds showcase of student innovation (formerly known as March Madness for the Mind). This year, the event will be held March 26 at the Smithsonian's National Museum of American History.
|The Massachusetts Institute of Technology's cheaper and improved cycle rickshaw carts are among several college inventors' products showing March 26 at the National Collegiate Inventors and Innovators Alliance's Open Minds showcase.|
Approximately 100 patent applications have resulted from projects supported by NCIIA grants, leading to an equal number of business startups.Student-created prototypes -- covering a spectrum of industries that include energy, medical, mobile and transportation -- on display at this year's showcase include:
- A compact generator that uses household waste and a tiny bit of water to make electricity, with even a twig being enough to run a bank of LEDs that can light a room for hours or, eventually, charge a cell phone and other devices (Arizona State University).
- An affordable, pressurized shower system designed for Chile's poorest areas that has quickly spread beyond its intended market, reducing the spread of disease in developing regions. (Art Center College of Design).
- A mobile-based social network intended to link people and businesses in off-the-grid areas, being piloted this spring in South Africa (Pennsylvania State University).
- Cycle rickshaw carts that improve upon traditional models used in India, but are more affordable so they can be eventually bought by their operators, rather than rented (Massachusetts Institute of Technology).
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV