The peace dividend, as he explained it to CNBC's Maria Bartiromo, appears to refer to the fact that, because Bank of America has grown largely through acquisitions and will no longer be doing them for the forseeable future, the bank will now have the ability to devote resources to "organic growth."
Acquisitions such as that of Countrywide Financial, MBNA and the biggest of all, Merrill Lynch, have "caused us a lot of work," Moynihan said. But now the work is "behind us," he said, adding that Merrill Lynch is has been "completely integrated" for several months.
Investment in technology, Moynihan told Bartiromo, is "part of the peace dividend," as is "build[ing] expertise and energy," and having "time to do what we can for our customers."While Bank of America is reaping the benefits of -- doing whatever one does with a peace dividend -- shareholders can expect fairly little in the way of a real dividend. While Moynihan indicated he aims to increase it in the second half of this year, he stressed that the increase will be relatively small for the time being. Shareholders were apparently satisfied. They drove up Bank of America's shares 4.70% on Tuesday, well above the day's gains for Citigroup (C), Wells Fargo (WFC)and JPMorgan Chase (JPM). -- Written by Dan Freed in New York.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV