NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- The U.S. dollar regained some strength against the Chinese yuan Tuesday after China's central bank set a stronger central parity rate and oil prices retreated.
The Chinese yuan was trading sideways at 6.5527 per dollar Tuesday, after hitting a 17-year high of 6.5628 per dollar Monday. The Market Vectors Chinese Renminbi/USD ETN (CNY) fell 0.2% to $40.30 at the market close, while the PowerShares DB US Dollar Index Bullish (UUP) rose 0.4% to $22.06.
On Tuesday, the Chinese central government set its central parity rate at 6.5687, up from Monday's historical-low of 6.5651. The yuan fell against the U.S. dollar as the reference rate strengthened.
As the U.S. dollar gained strength, oil prices dipped. Light, sweet crude for April delivery fell 42 cents to settle at $105.02 per barrel.The euro was slipping 0.5% against the dollar at $1.39, while the U.K. pound sterling was 0.3% weaker at $1.6157. CurrencyShares Euro Trust (FXE) fell 0.6% to $138.42 and CurrencyShares British Pound Sterling Trust (FXB) inched down 0.3% to $160.56. "The U.S. dollar is paring some its recent losses, against the majors and most emerging markets as well, stemming in part from a technical correction and yesterday's reminder that the euro zone's debt crisis is not yet resolved," said Chandler. On Monday, rating agency Moody's took Greece's credit rating down by three notches, worsening its junk-status. Meanwhile, the U.K. pound sterling was unable to break past the $1.635 level, according to Chandler. Oil plays most settled lower Tuesday. BP (BP) fell 0.7% to $47.81, Chevron (CVX)rose 0.7% to $103.77 and Exxon Mobil (XOM) lost 0.1% to $84.60. >>Search for Highest Dividends by Rate or Yield
|More on Earnings Today's Top Earnings|
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Andrea Tse. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Andrea Tse. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV