The business, once known as CitiFinancial but rebranded as OneMain Financial, has about $13 billion in assets and may deliver as much to Citi in a sale. There are several groups of investors, including a bank and several big private equity firms, reportedly bidding on the business.
On Tuesday, Reuters cited anonymous sources who said Citi may retain a stake in the unit and is offering partial financing to interested bidders.
Among the interested parties are reportedly a group that includes BlackRock (BLK), KKR (KKR), Warburg Pincus and potentially Banco Santander (STD). Another group includes private equity firms Brysam Global Partners, Blackstone (BX), Carlyle Group, Thomas H. Lee Partners and WL Ross & Co. while another includes Apollo Management and J.C. Flowers & Co.; and yet another consisting of Clayton, Dubilier & Rice and Toronto-based Onex Corp. (OCX). Bloomberg outlined those bidders in an earlier article.It's still unclear who will win the bidding war or how a deal will be structured, particularly because of its size. Citi has acknowledged that it's pursuing a divestiture of the consumer finance business, but has declined to provide additional details, as is typical of deals that are still in early stages. -- Written by Lauren Tara LaCapra in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Lauren Tara LaCapra. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/laurenlacapra. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV