NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- The commodities boom was as severe and swift as ever in history, but tremors have entered the markets over the last few weeks as investors begin to wonder: Could it all be over?
Copper futures have marched to record highs, rising more than 40% since the middle of last year. And Freeport McMoRan (FCX), the largest publicly traded miner of copper in the world, saw its share price double, going from $30 to just above $60 in January before sliding back.
Coal? Ditto. Peabody Energy (BTU) has doubled in value since the summer of 2010.Partly because of this commodities rocket ride, there have been some rumblings in basic-materials land over the last week or so -- and we're not talking about the landslides in Indonesia near Freeport McMoRan's Grasberg copper mine. The supply-demand fundamentals may still look strong for many types of commodities: tight describing the former, brisk the latter. But the stakes are high for producers of commodities. If oil prices keep rising, if food prices keep rising, central banks around the world will want to start fighting inflation. And if they start fighting off inflation, economic recovery might be endangered. China, of course, already is. And the European Union's central banker, Jean-Claude Trichet, recently signaled that a rate-hike could be in the Continent's future. Then there's the U.S. quantitative-easing program, which some have likened to dropping bills from the sky and onto a commodities pit. Having grabbed free money, speculators will speculate. And so we put the question of the moment to readers of TheStreet: Has the commodities boom exhausted itself? Take our poll below to see what your fellow investors think....
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Scott Eden. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/ScottEden. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV