Support and Resistance: Technical Analysis Primer
BALTIMORE (Stockpickr) -- Support and resistance are two technical terms that most investors have probably heard at one time or another. These two technical price levels aren't just key tenets of technical analysis; these two simple concepts are also the basis of many of Wall Street's most-successful trading strategies.
Like most analysis concepts, though, it's not enough to understand what support and resistance are; success comes from knowing how to put it into play.
Today, we'll take a look at how support and resistance works, how to determine these key levels, and how to put them to work for your portfolio starting from day one.
Simply put, support and resistance are price levels that stocks have trouble moving beyond. Support acts as a sort of price floor for a stock, whereas resistance acts as a price ceiling.Frequently, would-be technical analysts can become pretty skilled at picking out support and resistance levels without actually understanding the mechanics of how these price levels work to restrict stocks' movements. You'll be happy to know that these prices aren't magical levels -- instead, they're a function of investor psychology and market mechanics. Related: 4 Stocks Setting Up to Break Out So how can these "price barriers" exist in the market?
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV