NEW YORK ( TheStreet ) -- Barrick Gold (ABX) is the big daddy of all gold companies, but maintaining its explosive growth in the face of higher costs for everything from energy to labor will be the challenge going forward.
The gold miner earned 95 cents a share and revenue topped $2.95 billion. Gold production rose to 1.7 million ounces at cash costs of $486 an ounce or $326 if you factor in by-product sales.
In 2011, Barrick hopes to produce between 7.6 million and 8 million ounces of gold, up 2.5% from 2010, at cash costs $450-$480 an ounce. In 5 years, Barrick is planning to produce 9 million ounces of gold and the company only needs gold prices to stay above $1,000 for all its projects to see juicy returns.
The headwinds facing Barrick and the gold mining industry at large include higher input costs, soaring oil prices, rising exploration costs and higher labor wages. This combination is hurting the entire gold mining sector and it's quickly becoming a matter of who will weather the storm best.
|Barrick Gold CEO Aaron Regent|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV