5 Dot-Com Busts: Where They Are Today
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Thursday, March 10 marks the 11th anniversary of the dot-com bubble burst, when dozens of early Internet companies saw their stock prices soar as the tech-heavy Nasdaq peaked at 5,048.62 before tanking several months later.
While the insanely-big valuations of some of today's most well-known Internet companies have prompted worries of a second tech bubble, the ripple effect of the dot-com bust should have taught everyone a lesson: The stock market crash of 2000 led to the loss of $5 trillion in market value of companies from March 2000 to October 2002 as well as the beginning of a mild economic depression.
The dot-com bust led to the end of the Silicon Valley gold rush, where venture capitalists invested zillions of dollars into companies with unproven business models, when college students became millionaires over night and when spectacular growth was prized over profitability and sound business plans.Read on for the stories of a few key dot-com era start-ups that went spectacularly bust -- and how their founders have rebounded.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV