(Story updated with Monday's natural gas price drivers, update on cotton prices and analyst commentary on the bond market and yuan bonds)
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Natural gas futures for April delivery blew past cotton to lead in commodities price action Monday amid a bout of short-covering by traders.
Natural gas futures for April delivery rose 11.6 cents, or 3.1%, to settle at $3.925 per million British thermal units on the New York Mercantile Exchange.
"I think it's more technical in a short-covering rally, so to speak," said Phil Flynn, a senior market analyst with PFG Best, in explaining the natural gas rally. "I think when oil pulled back from a high a bit, you saw some short-covering a little bit on that trade."
Flynn said that last week, as oil prices kept soaring, traders were long on oil and heavily short on natural gas. The trading of such spreads has been increasing along with higher oil prices, according to Flynn.Natural gas plays largely finished higher Monday even as the broader equities fell on a semiconductor sector downgrade by Wells Fargo, Moody's' downgrade of Greece and rising oil prices, which weighed on investor sentiment. PAA Natural Gas Storage, L.P. (PNG) rose 0.1% to $23.94 and Niska Gas Storage Partners (NKA) ticked up 0.3% to $20.65. Atlas Pipeline Partners (APL) added 4.8% to $30.31. Kinder Morgan (KMI) rose 0.2% to $30.90 and Kinder Morgan Energy Partners LP (KMP) ticked up 0.2% to $73.41. EnCana (ECA) fell 0.6% to $32.12, while Chesapeake Energy (CHK) lost 0.4% to $33.45.
In the morning, cotton was the biggest price gainer, popping by its exchange limit of seven cents as demand roars, but supplies tighten -- possibly with the help of farmers withholding supplies. Cotton futures for May delivery rose 1.4 cents, or 0.7%, to settle at $2.1414 a pound Monday.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV