IRVINE, Calif. ( TheStreet) -- Western Digital's (WDC) $4.3 billion acquisition of Hitachi Global Storage Technologies will significantly boost the hard drive maker's enterprise presence, according to analysts.
"I think it's a really great move," said Greg Schulz, senior adviser at analyst firm Server and StorageIO Group. "It gives Western Digital a higher-end drive -- they have never really been perceived as an enterprise player."
|Western Digital is buying Hitachi Global Storage Technologies for $4.3 billion.|
"Western Digital didn't really play in the enterprise segment, which has better gross margins," Kaushik Roy, an analyst at Wedbush Morgan, told TheStreet. "If you buy Hitachi, you're becoming an instant player in the big enterprise segment -- also, Hitachi has a joint venture with Intel (INTC) where they are making solid state disks (SSDs) -- this also gives Western Digital access to those assets."
Investors are equally bullish on the deal, which is expected to close in the third quarter. Western Digital's shares were soaring more than 13% at midday Monday, up $4.11 to $34.12."We now have opportunity to realize a series of very significant long-term benefits for our shareholders," said John Coyne, Western Digital's CEO, in a conference call before market open."This is a unique development -- it combines the resources of two of the world's most profitable hard-drive companies." In addition to Hitachi GST's presence in enterprise storage, Western Digital is also gaining the Japanese firm's manufacturing plants in China and the Philippines. "
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV