NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Federal and state authorities have banded together to give large banks a detailed proposal for how to handle loan servicing and foreclosures, though experts expect another 3 million Americans to lose their homes before the housing market recovers.
The 27-page document was given to mortgage servicers last week and sought "a binding legal requirement," a spokesman for Iowa Attorney General Tom Miller told Bloomberg. The proposal is separate from monetary penalties that federal and state authorities plan to seek.
The move comes months after a scandal erupted over big banks' practice of "robosigning," in which employees would sign off on thousands of foreclosure affidavits without properly vetting the material. Widely publicized cases led Ally Financial, Bank of America (BAC), JPMorgan Chase (JPM), Citigroup (C), Wells Fargo (WFC) to review processes and, in some cases, temporarily halt foreclosure proceedings.
Meanwhile, attorneys general in all 50 states, led by Miller, partnered together to investigate the matter as federal authorities - including the U.S. Treasury Department's Office of the Comptroller of the Currency, the Federal Reserve and the Federal Deposit Insurance Corp. - started probing the issue as well.The comptroller, John Walsh,
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV