Blockbuster's Fate: Will It Be Forced to Liquidate?
The hearing, which was originally slated to begin at 10 a.m. in Manhattan, has been postponed until 1 p.m., as parties involved in the case requested more time to discuss the case outside the courtroom.
The hearing was scheduled to discuss the "stalking horse" bid of $290 million Blockbuster received in February from Cobalt Video, a limited liability company formed by funds managed by Monarch Alternative Capital, Owl Creek Asset Management, Stonehill Capital Management and Värde Partners.
The Cobalt Video group holds more than half of Blockbuster's $630 million debt in 11.75% senior secured notes. It has not commented on whether or not it would continue to operate the business.But last week a bankruptcy judge opposed the bid, calling it too "aggressive." >>Click here to take our Blockbuster poll "If anything is going to fly, this garbage truck better sprout wings," Judge Burton Lifland said in Manhattan court. In total, 45 creditors, includingf Walt Disney (DIS), Sony (SNE), Yahoo (YHOO) and Warner Bros., objected to the deal, saying it allows senior lenders to have sole right to convert the case to a Chapter 7 liquidation, repays their debt without requiring them to repay similar priority creditors, and gives them rights to lawsuit proceeds. >>Blockbuster Timeline: From Opening to Closing Credits Billionaire Carl Icahn, who has been noticeably absent from these discussions, reappeared yesterday. Icahn, who owns the company's senior debt, said in a court filing that he is not part of the consortium that made the "stalking horse" offer and should have the right to bid on Blockbuster himself.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV