Gold for April delivery added $5.90 to close at $1,434.50 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price traded as high as $1,445.70 and as low as $1,428.30. The spot gold price was up $2, according to Kitco's gold index.
As oil prices go, so do gold and silver. The precious metals followed black gold higher in overnight trading. Gold hit a high, silver broke to a 31-year high and oil prices surged to a two-and-a-half year high. Investors were buying gold and silver as protection against uncertainty in the Middle East, an ongoing civil war in Libya, rising inflation led by high oil prices and loose monetary policies. Mid-way through the trading day all three commodities backed off their recent levels as investors took profits.James Moore, research analyst for FastMarkets, wrote Monday that new highs in silver could trigger profit taking "but with the situation in the
If the situation in Libya resolves itself, however, then commodities could see more of a selloff. On Monday it was rumored that Lidyan leader Gadhafi would cede power if his family was allowed to leave the country safely. That said, the scenario of a steeper correction is not in the forefront of traders' minds. David Morgan, founder of Silver-Investor.com, is long on silver using silver stocks. "The equities are lagging the metals and if this rally is going to continue the equities will play catch up pretty quickly," he said. Morgan would use the same strategy with gold stocks versus the underlying commodity. "Value wise, silver is still the better play." Currently, the silver to gold ratio (how many ounces of silver it takes to buy an ounce of gold) is roughly 40:1 and Morgan thinks the ratio could sink as low as 16, which, at current gold prices could put silver at $90.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV