Clearly the odds of another meltdown like the one in 2008 are low, but this is space is unlikely to offer any shelter should that type of extreme market behavior happen. This does not mean the PowerShares Senior Loan Portfolio is a bad fund, but any investment product has its benefits and weaknesses, and understanding both is crucial for good decision making.
Lastly, there is a philosophical point to investing that arises with a fund like this. Do you have fixed income exposure because you want to balance out the volatility of the equity portion of your portfolio? If the answer is yes, this fund may not be suited for you.
But there are investors interested in taking risk in their fixed income portfolios in pursuit of capital gains or for above-market yields, and for them, this fund would have more utility.
At the time of publication, Nusbaum had no positions in securities mentioned.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV