NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Corpbanca (NYSE:BCA) has been upgraded by TheStreet Ratings from sell to hold. The company's strengths can be seen in multiple areas, such as its robust revenue growth, notable return on equity and growth in earnings per share. However, as a counter to these strengths, we find that the growth in the company's net income has been quite unimpressive. Highlights from the ratings report include:
- Investors have apparently begun to recognize positive factors similar to those we have mentioned in this report, including earnings growth. This has helped drive up the company's shares by a sharp 86.45% over the past year, a rise that has exceeded that of the S&P 500 Index. Looking ahead, however, we cannot assume that the stock's past performance is going to drive future results. Quite to the contrary, its sharp appreciation over the last year is one of the factors that should prompt investors to seek better opportunities elsewhere.
- The company, on the basis of net income growth from the same quarter one year ago, has significantly underperformed when compared to that of the S&P 500 and the Commercial Banks industry. The net income increased by 5.3% when compared to the same quarter one year prior, going from $62.73 million to $66.03 million.
- The gross profit margin for CORPBANCA is rather high; currently it is at 56.20%. Regardless of BCA's high profit margin, it has managed to decrease from the same period last year. Despite the mixed results of the gross profit margin, BCA's net profit margin of 22.50% compares favorably to the industry average.
- Current return on equity exceeded its ROE from the same quarter one year prior. This is a clear sign of strength within the company. In comparison to the other companies in the Commercial Banks industry and the overall market, CORPBANCA's return on equity significantly exceeds that of the industry average and is above that of the S&P 500.
- The revenue growth came in higher than the industry average of 0.5%. Since the same quarter one year prior, revenues rose by 16.0%. This growth in revenue appears to have trickled down to the company's bottom line, improving the earnings per share.
Latest from TheStreet Wire
Cognizant Technology Solutions Corporation (CTSH): Today's Featured Computer Software & Services Laggard
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV