NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Don Dion posts his current insights on the stock, bond, commodity and currency markets in his RealMoney blog, anticipating which ETFs will be in play next.
Here are three of his blog posts from the past week:
An ETF With a Buffett Angle
Published 3/2/2011 2:41 p.m. ESTAs is generally the case, investors and commentators are poring over the latest annual Buffett missive, trying to extract the intentions of one of the world's most successful investors. One of the more interesting results of this year's letter is a new list from Bloomberg Data of companies that are potential Buffett targets. Using the takeover requirements listed by Buffett, Bloomberg generated a list of firms that could potentially meet his investing criteria. Looking over the list, which spans a wide range of firms, a few names and categories begin to stick out. One grouping of firms that meet the Buffett criteria include high-profile aerospace and defense names. The list includes General Dynamics (GD), Lockheed Martin (LMT), Raytheon (RTN) and L-3 Communications (LLL). While these names make up just a portion of the Bloomberg Buffett list, they all appear in the iShares Aerospace & Defense ETF (ITA). > > Bull or Bear? Vote in Our Poll I've been bullish on defense as international demand amps up, and Buffett's criteria vets these companies even further. Cornerstones of ITA listed above all fit the Buffett letter criteria, which includes:
- market cap between $4 billion and $40 billion;
- return on common equity >10%;
- five-year net income growth in highest 50%; and
- capital expenditures / total assets > 0.5.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV