Escalation of violence in Libya was again the cause of the oil price spike, as the International Energy Agency upped its estimate of the production shutdown in Libyan oil to 1 million barrels per day. The previous IEA estimate had been a range of 850,000 barrels to 1 million barrels per day. Libya produces roughly 1.6 to 17 million barrels of oil per day.
Even the weak natural gas market has provided a few recent signs of unexpected drilling potential, though, with the big deals between Encana (ECA) and PetroChina (PTR), and Chesapeake Energy (CHK) and BHP Billiton (BHP) suggesting that natural gas drilling activity may even receive an incremental activity boost, the analyst noted.
"Driller reports across the board have been better than expected and margins have not declined with day rig pricing increases and costs in check. Analysts have been able to raise numbers a bit further and there's a general expansion for the land drilling group, especially given that they were among the worst performers last year," the analyst said.
-- Written by Eric Rosenbaum from New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Eric Rosenbaum. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to Eric Rosenbaum. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV