Gold for April delivery added $12.20 to $1,428.60 an ounce at the Comex division of the New York Mercantile Exchange. The gold price today has traded as high as $1,432.80 and as low as $1,413.80. The spot gold price was adding $13, according to Kitco's gold index.
Silver prices added $1 to $35.32 an ounce. U.S. dollar index was slightly lower at $76.38.
Gold prices had been awaiting the nonfarm payroll report for February and picked up steam after the solid, but not blowout, results. Nonfarm added 192,000 jobs and the private sector added 222,000 jobs. Both numbers were in line with expectations. The unemployment rate fell to 8.9%.The good news was already baked into the stock market and equities took a hit on the buy the rumor, sell the news trading strategy. Gold prices suffered Thursday in anticipation of solid numbers and were regaining ground Friday.
A better-than-expected reading might have raised speculation that the Federal Reserve could either alter its $600 billion bond buying program or raise interest rates if the jobs picture continues to improve. A disappointing reading would have underscored the need for low interest rates for an "extended period of time" despite rising overall inflation and perhaps prompt another wave of safe haven buying.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV