Story updated to note that Rajat Gupta has denied charges levied against him.
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Goldman Sachs (GS) CEO Lloyd Blankfein will testify for the U.S. government at the coming trial of hedge-fund manager Raj Rajaratnam, The Wall Street Journal reported, citing people familiar with the matter.
The Securities and Exchange Commission has charged Rajaratnam and others in a insider trading scheme. Nineteen of 26 defendants in the case have pleaded guilty, the Journal noted.
Rajaratnam's trial in federal court begins next Tuesday.The U.S. would use Blankfein to establish evidence linking information about Goldman that was shared among board members and executives with former Goldman director Rajat Gupta, according to people familiar with the case, the Journal reported. Last week, the SEC brought charges against Gupta for allegedly providing inside information to Galleon Group's Rajaratnam. Gupta has denied the charges. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV