10 Celebrities Who Lost Big Financially
The good news for Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Michael Vick is that he turned a Comeback Player of the Year season in 2010 into a key to the city of Dallas and a franchise tag from the Eagles that could be worth $16 million to $20 million if the NFL doesn't lock out its players next season. The bad news: The aftermath of his dogfighting conviction and ensuing prison sentence will put almost all of that money into other people's hands.
It's no secret Vick's past cost him endorsement deals with Nike (NKE) and AirTran (AAI), more than $60 million of his $130 million contract extension that he signed with the Atlanta Falcons in 2004 and 16 months of his freedom. What's less known is that also left him bankrupt, with roughly $10 million to $50 million in debt. According to the Atlanta Journal Constitution, he's been paying off that debt by keeping only $300,000 of the $6.8 million he made with the Eagles during the past two seasons but has more than $20 million still outstanding. Though he's recovered from his dogfighting conviction professionally, its fallout will likely keep his paycheck on a short leash for the imminent future.
-- Written by Jason Notte in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Jason Notte.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV