(Monsanto story updated with further analyst commentary.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- According to the prevailing wisdom on Wall Street, Monsanto (MON) has moved in the right direction as it strives to revive itself after an ugly debut for its crucial new bioengineered corn in 2010.
Last year, after a rebellion among its farmer-customers forced the company to cut prices for its latest test-tube maize, Monsanto had to repeal the ambitious growth goals it had set for the next three years. Its stock fell 20% in 2010.
With the dawn of a fresh year, investors appear to have put much of that bad news behind them. Monsanto's efforts to right itself are only a small part of the reason, of course. An unprecedented farm boom, driven by inflating agricultural commodities prices the world over, has lifted Monsanto stock out of its doldrums. Since bottoming out near $48 in October, shares of the St. Louis company have gained 40% and touched a 52-week high of about $77 on Feb. 2. Midday Thursday on the New York Stock Exchange, they were trading at $70.25.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV