Jeffrey M. Farber will oversee AIG's controllership and accounting policy functions as well as its global tax department. He will report to CFO David Herzog.
"Jeff Farber is well prepared to help take these key AIG finance functions to an even higher level," Herzog said in a statement.
The hire is AIG's latest move to improve its risk management and controls. The insurance giant has also brought on board Charlie Shamieh as chief actuary; Mark Scully to oversee actuarial functions at its main property and casualty division, Chartis; Sid Sankaran as chief risk officer; and former Federal Reserve official Brian Peters to also help manage risk in an executive position.The addition of actuarial and risk-management talent comes in tandem with a disappointing fourth-quarter report and a disclosure that Chartis had to bolster reserves by $4 billion to cover unexpected claims. "Over the past several years the finance team has worked diligently through an extraordinarily complex restructuring," said Herzog, "and this new role provides Jeff with an opportunity to lead a great team and work closely with the finance transformation team as we roll out our new financial platform." Farber most recently served as CFO at Gamco, a wealth management and investment firm. Before that, he was senior vice president of finance and controller at Bear Stearns, and an audit partner at Deloitte and Touche. AIG shares were recently up 1.1% at $37.71. -- Written by Lauren Tara LaCapra in New York.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Lauren Tara LaCapra. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/laurenlacapra. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV