Missing Wisconsin Democrats Face Fines
NEW YORK (TheStreet) -- Wisconsin Senate Republicans have voted to impose a $100 daily fine for any senator who is absent without leave for two or more session days in an effort to persuade the 14 Senate Democrats who fled Wisconsin two weeks ago to return.
"They're doing this petty stuff," Democratic state Senator Chris Larson said in response to the new fine.
The group of Democrats fled the state two weeks ago to avoid voting on Wisconsin Gov. Scott Walker's controversial budget repair bill, which would do away with most collective bargaining rights for the state's public-sector workers
The resolution, drafted by Republican Senate Majority Leader Scott Fitzgerald, was approved by the Senate with none of the Democrats present on Wednesday.The resolution also requires the absent senators to pay for any costs incurred in attempts to force them to return. --Written by Theresa McCabe in Boston.
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Theresa McCabe. >To follow the writer on Twitter, go to @TheresaMcCabe. >To submit a news tip, send an email to: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV