The Knot Unveils 2010 Real Weddings Survey Results
The Knot Inc. (NASDAQ: KNOT), the leading lifestage media company with the top two wedding websites TheKnot.com and WeddingChannel.com, today released the results of its annual Real Weddings Survey, which surveyed nearly 19,000 U.S. couples married in 2010. TheKnot.com & WeddingChannel.com 2010 Real Weddings Survey captures detailed feedback on wedding budget, style preferences, event characteristics and other key information related to the bridal demographic.
“Brides remain committed to planning a luxurious, memorable event and are willing to spend despite the state of the economy,” said Carley Roney, editor in chief of The Knot Inc. “In fact, approximately 1 in 5 brides are spending more than $30,000 on their wedding, and 12% of brides are spending more than $40,000.”
Key Average Wedding Statistics
- Wedding Spend (excluding honeymoon): $26,984
- Most Expensive Area to Get Married (excluding honeymoon): NYC (Manhattan), $70,030
- Least Expensive Area to Get Married (excluding honeymoon): Utah, $13,214
- Wedding Dress Spend: $1,099
- Percentage of Destination Weddings: 24%
- Bride’s Age: 29
- Groom’s Age: 31
- Number of Guests: 141
- Average Wedding Spend (on a per guest basis): $194
- Number of Bridesmaids: 4
- Number of Groomsmen: 4
- Length of Engagement: 14 months
- Most Popular Engagement Month: December (16%)
- Most Popular Wedding Month: June (15%)
- Most Popular Wedding Color: White/Ivory (43%)
2010 Average Wedding Budget Breakdown
|2010 National Average Spend|
|Overall Wedding (excluding honeymoon)||$26,984|
|Catering (cost per head)||$61|
|Wedding Day Transportation||$667|
Figures based on respondents who hired a professional vendor for the service.
Top 20 Most Expensive Wedding Areas
|1.||NYC (Manhattan): $70,730|
|2.||NY (Long Island, Hudson Valley and NYC Outer Boroughs): $51,811, $45,695, $44,718|
|3.||Northern/Central NJ and Southern NJ: $49,347, $36,694|
|4.||Rhode Island: $41,169|
|5.||Philadelphia, PA: $36,294|
|6.||Santa Barbara/Ventura, CA, and Los Angeles, CA: $36,233, $33,745|
|7.||Boston, MA: $35,458|
|8.||Chicago, IL: $35,389|
|10.||Southern Florida (Miami, Fort Lauderdale and surrounding areas): $33,810|
|11.||Washington, DC, Northern Virginia and Suburban Maryland: $33,727|
|12.||Orange County/Inland Empire, CA, and San Diego, CA: $31,954, $30,687|
|13.||San Francisco Bay Area, CA, and California/Nevada (Sacramento, Tahoe and Reno): $31,173, $26,567|
|14.||Baltimore, MD: $30,073|
|15.||Houston, TX: $29,129|
|16.||Pittsburgh, PA: $28,408|
|17.||Dallas, TX: $27,823|
|20.||Austin/San Antonio, TX: $26,329|
- Budget: New York City ( Manhattan) has the highest average wedding budget ($70,730), and Utah has the lowest average wedding budget ($13,214), excluding honeymoon only.
- Age: New York City (Manhattan and Outer Boroughs) has the oldest brides (32 years), whereas West Texas has the youngest brides (24 years), on average.
- Engagements: Northeast brides have the longest engagements (15.5 months), while brides from Alabama, Tennessee, Kentucky and Mississippi have the shortest (12 months), on average.
- Wedding Size: On average, Nebraska and Iowa brides still have the largest number of wedding guests (213 and 200, respectively), and Hawaii and Nevada still have the smallest number of wedding guests (82 and 59, respectively).
- Wedding Style: Hawaii has the most casual weddings, while Northern/Central New Jersey has the most formal (black-tie) weddings.
- Economy’s Effect: Brides in New Mexico, and California and Nevada ( Sacramento, Tahoe and Reno) were the most affected by the economy, while brides in Alaska and Nebraska were the least affected.
- Registry: Brides in Toledo, Ohio, Kansas and Minnesota are the most likely to register for wedding gifts (96%).
- Were 18 or older
- Had a wedding in 2010
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV