Highlights in Q4 2010 included:
- Significant growth in Identive's RFID transponder business, fueled by increased demand for RFID inlays and components for applications ranging from payments to transportation to high-value asset tracking. The addition of Smartag production capacity in late November further boosted RFID transponder sales to record levels.
- Strong sales of SCM readers and other ID infrastructure products, including the partial fulfillment of orders for secure IT kits related to the German government's implementation of a new electronic citizen ID card. Identive's Multicard business in Germany, which was selected by the German government to provide application software and related services for the kits and to act as a project manager for their distribution, delivered nearly 100,000 secure IT kits while SCM delivered 215,000 kits to Multicard as well as to partners in the insurance and media industries for distribution to citizens.
- Continued strong orders from U.S. government agencies for Hirsch security and identity management systems as a result of continued high activity in the sector around compliance with security mandates under programs such as Homeland Security Presidential Directive 12.
- Sequential growth in Identive's Multicard Netherlands business from sales of additional solutions and services for payment applications.
- Important new contract wins for Multicard U.S. in the healthcare and education markets, for patient and student ID projects.
"In 2010 we saw the acceleration of secure ID programs in many areas of the world, as government security mandates and the convenience of RFID technology drove projects from access control at U.S. federal facilities to national ID cards to mass transit ticketing," continued Mr. Ashour. "While development of the secure ID market remains fragmented geographically, some clear trends are emerging in 2011. These include mobile payments, the deployment of personal identity credentials for local government employees, and ticketing for mass transit. Identive has unique competence across the RFID and secure ID value chains and is well positioned to participate in all of these trends."