Mosaic (MOS), with a market value of $37 billion, is the world's No. 1 producer of phosphate, with about a 13% share of global production and the second-largest North American producer of potash.
Phosphate and potash are two of the three primary crop nutrients. Mosaic owns phosphate rock mines in Florida and potash mines in Canada, giving it a reliable base of supply for years to come.Analysts said tighter inventories would help producers push through price increases in overseas markets, and that there is a shortage of the stuff setting up as farmers get ready for spring planting season. Morningstar analyst Jeffrey Stafford wrote in a Jan. 19 research note that "crop supply and demand balances point to a robust 2011 for fertilizer pricing and demand. However, the long-term dynamics are not quite as clear. "While the need to feed a growing population will lead to increased demand for crop inputs, fertilizer prices will depend on the amount of additional capacity that is brought on line over the next decade," he said. Mosaic, of Plymouth, Minn., has seen its shares rise to a recent 52-week high in the past few weeks. They're up 11% this year and 45% over the past 12 months. Morningstar says its review of analysts' ratings finds five "buys," one "outperform," 11 "hold" and one "underperform" rating.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV