Syngenta (SYT) is a Swiss agribusiness company engaged in the development and sale of a range of products designed to enhance crop yields and food quality worldwide. It operates in three segments: crop protection, seeds and business development.
The company was formed in 2000 from spinoffs of Novartis' (NVS) crop protection and seed business and AstraZeneca's (AZN) agrochemicals business. It is a formidable international competitor that is investing heavily in research and development of genetically modified seeds.Zacks Investment Research says the company ranks first in crop protection, and third in the high-value commercial seeds market. Zacks price target is $68.60. Its shares are currently trading at $67.30. Morningstar analyst Jeffrey Stafford says Syngenta recently released yield data that show that its stacked corn seeds are competitive with similar products from DeKalb (Monsanto) and Pioneer (DuPont). The company has a strong foothold in many emerging regions, including South America and Asia. "With competitors concentrating on corn and soybeans, Syngenta has gained a solid position in the vegetable seeds market," he writes. "The company expects this segment to grow as emerging regions demand more high-value vegetables in their diets." Its shares are up 12% this year and 29% over the past year, contributing to its market value of $32 billion. Analysts give the company 10 "buy" ratings, three "outperform," 10 "hold" and one "sell."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV