(Las Vegas Sands article updated with analyst commentary.)
NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Las Vegas Sands (LVS) is in the red Tuesday afternoon, after it received a subpoena request from the Securities and Exchange Commission requesting the company provide compliance documents related to the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
The casino giant also noted that it is the subject of an investigation by the Department of Justice.
Las Vegas Sands said it is fully cooperating with the government and providing all documentation with respet to its Macau operations and dealings with the government going back several years.Analysts believe these allegations stem from claims made by former Sands China CEO, Steve Jacobs, regarding the bribing of officials. Las Vegas Sands has publicly denied these allegations. Jacobs has alleged that he was fired from the company in July 2010 without cause after refusing to carry out demands made by Las Vegas Sands CEO Sheldon Adelson. "While handicapping the end results of investigations of this sort are nearly impossible, we believe the headline risk will serve as an overhang on shares in the near term until more on the matter is known," Wells Fargo analyst, Carlo Santarelli, wrote in a note. "That said, we believe the Jacobs lawsuit has quietly been a drag on shares in recent months given the nature of the claims and the potential for something like this to occur." Sands' Macau concession should not be affected, Sterne Agee analyst David Bain, noted. In short, this could be a non-event or end up having a significant financial impact.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV