HAIFA, Israel, March 1, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Pluristem Therapeutics, Inc. (Nasdaq:PSTI) (TASE:PLTR) and the Berlin-Brandenburg Center for Regenerative Therapies (BCRT), in cooperation with the Charite - University of Medicine in Berlin,today announced the results of a pre-clinical study demonstrating that the local administration of PLX cells following muscle injury resulted in significant improvement in the recovery of muscle function when compared with the control group. This study suggests that Pluristem's PLX cells have the potential to treat both accidental and intentionally induced muscle injuries.
Subject to regulatory approval, Pluristem plans on moving ahead with clinical trials for muscle injury indications. These trials will be conducted in addition to the anticipated Phase II/III trial using PLX-PAD for the treatment of Critical Limb Ischemia.
The data from the study indicates that PLX cells can be used in several categories of muscle injury, including accidental injuries, such as those incurred during athletic activity, as well as intentional injuries, such as after the incision of a skeletal muscle during surgery. These markets represent a potential annual market of approximately 10 Billion USD.During the study, either immediately or seven days after delivering injury to the soleus muscle, PLX cells or saline were injected into the traumatized muscles. Four weeks after administration, the regenerative capacity of the soleus muscle was measured bilaterally by stimulating the sciatic nerve. PLX cell administration resulted in a significant improvement in the recovery of function of the involved muscles.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV