The Winchester, Va.-based company reported adjusted earnings of $3.6 million, or 23 cents a share, for the three months ended Dec. 31, on sales of $75.3 million. The average estimate of analysts polled by
Thomson Reuters was for a loss of 52 cents a share on sales of $60.7 million. Including charges, Trex lost $500,000, or 3 cents a share, in the latest quarter.
The stock rose $2.91, or 11%, to $29.58 on volume of around 950,000, more than seven times its three-month trailing daily average of 120,000. The shares have gained more than 30% in the past year, hitting its previous 52-week high of $27.11 on Feb. 18. Earlier in Monday's session, the stock reached a new peak of $30.90, its first move above $30 since May 2006.
"Sales broke our fourth quarter record as both distributors and dealers responded enthusiastically to our products, sales programs and pricing strategy," said Ronald Kaplan, the company's chairman and CEO, in a statement. "Our Trex Transcend collection contributed strongly to sales, and is now widely recognized as the number-one brand of high-performance decking and railing."Trex also offered up an in-line sales outlook of $70 million for its current fiscal first quarter ending in March. Wall Street was bullish on Trex ahead of the report with six of the eight analysts covering the shares at strong buy and the median 12-month price target sitting at $35. Canaccord Genuity reiterated a hold rating and $28 price target on the stock following the report, mainly because of valuation concerns as it was very positive about the company's performance and lifted its earnings estimate for fiscal 2011 to $1.40 a share from $1.00 a share to reflect improving gross margins and a lower tax rate. "With Transcend start-up costs now behind the company, we see GMs
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV