BOSTON (TheStreet) -- Does brand recognition correlate with stock outperformance? In the case of the, it might. They have outstanding brand power. And several enjoy lead market share in disparate industries, ranging from consumer electronics to Internet search. Each ranks in the top decile of the S&P 500, based on analysts' equity ratings. Below, the stocks are ordered by median predicted upside, from plenty to most.
5. Coca-Cola (KO) sells beverages worldwide.
Coke's stock has risen 3.1% a year, on average, since 2008 and 22% in the past 12 months. It currently ranks as analysts' second-favorite Dow stock, receiving "buy" ratings from 80% of analysts in coverage. Stifel Financial offers the highest target on Wall Street, predicting that Coke's stock will advance 16% to $75. JPMorgan, though ranking Coke "overweight", expects a rise to $66. Coke pays a quarterly dividend of 47 cents, equal to a yield of 2.9% and a trailing payout ratio of 33%. The dividend has grown 9.5%, annually, over five years.
Coke's adjusted fourth-quarter earnings increased 7.6% to 72 cents, modestly exceeding analysts' consensus forecast. Its sales climbed 40% past $10 billion, beating consensus by 3.1%. Yet, Coke's gross margin narrowed from 69% to 67% and its operating margin contracted from 25% to 19%. Coke held more than $11 billion of cash reserves at fourth-quarter's end, compared to $23 billion of debt, for a quick ratio of 0.9 and a debt-to-equity ratio of 0.8. Coke's worldwide volume and North America volume grew 6% and 8%, respectively, during the fourth quarter.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV