Uranerz Energy (URZ) is beginning to show promise. The stock finished 2010 with a 210 percent return. It's based in Canada, but its exploration territory is centered in the Powder River Basin in Wyoming, an area that's been producing uranium for more than 50 years.
The company closed 2010 by completing $20 million in financing, and opened 2011 with a permit from the state of Wyoming to mine its Nichols Ranch Uranium project, which holds an estimated 5.5 million pounds of uranium. Now it awaits final Nuclear Regulatory Commission approval, with production expected in early 2012.
Uranerz Energy uses in-situ recovery (ISR) mining that injects groundwater to bring deposits up for processing, theoretically a minimally intrusive, low-cost extraction method.
The stock is up 26 percent so far this year.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV