Dan Mead, Verizon Wireless chief, told media outlets this weekend that 60% of the company's iPhone sales were preorders. This would explain why the turnout on a cold February launch day was much lighter than some may have expected.
Recent analyst estimates say Verizon's iPhone preorders totaled 600,000, and if that was 60% of total sales, then 1 million iPhones were sold on the debut weekend. It also means many more have sold since then. For comparison, AT&T sold 1.7 million iPhones 4s on its debut last year.
Another reason Verizon didn't have a spate of sellouts of the iPhone 4 may be that people were waiting for the better, faster iPhone 5 due out this summer. Unfortunately, as reported here last week, the 4G LTE version of the Verizon iPhone will come much later with the iPhone 6.Verizon says it will not release the actual sales figure until its first-quarter earnings report in April. But any anxiety around lackluster demand for the Verizon iPhone 4 may now be eased a bit. Apple shares were up 1% to $353.28 Monday. --Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
>To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: email@example.com. To follow Scott on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/MoritzDispatch. >To send a tip, email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV