Dan Mead, Verizon Wireless chief, told media outlets this weekend that 60% of the company's iPhone sales were preorders. This would explain why the turnout on a cold February launch day was much lighter than some may have expected.
Recent analyst estimates say Verizon's iPhone preorders totaled 600,000, and if that was 60% of total sales, then 1 million iPhones were sold on the debut weekend. It also means many more have sold since then. For comparison, AT&T sold 1.7 million iPhones 4s on its debut last year.
Another reason Verizon didn't have a spate of sellouts of the iPhone 4 may be that people were waiting for the better, faster iPhone 5 due out this summer. Unfortunately, as reported here last week, the 4G LTE version of the Verizon iPhone will come much later with the iPhone 6.Verizon says it will not release the actual sales figure until its first-quarter earnings report in April. But any anxiety around lackluster demand for the Verizon iPhone 4 may now be eased a bit. Apple shares were up 1% to $353.28 Monday. --Written by Scott Moritz in New York.
>To contact this writer, click here: Scott Moritz, or email: firstname.lastname@example.org. To follow Scott on Twitter, go to http://twitter.com/MoritzDispatch. >To send a tip, email: email@example.com.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV