NEW YORK ( TheStreet) -- Exchange mergers, dark pools and algorithmic trading are not just market theory being debated among the world's most powerful banks. They are also daily issues that the financial services industry is pouring billions of dollars of investment to execute and monitor every year.
According to market research firm Celent, global information technology spending by banks and brokerages is expected to increase 3.7% this year for a total of $363.8 billion.
One company taking advantage of the trend is Progress Software (PRGS), which provides trading and surveillance technology to large global exchanges, banks and brokers.
Progress' chief technology officer, John Bates, spoke with TheStreet about the role his company plays in the trading fray and how it may benefit from exchange merger mania.TheStreet: What does your firm do and what is your typical client? John Bates: One area we have established for ourselves is to help banks produce the technology for high frequency and algorithmic trading. Another area is real time risk and real time surveillance of that trading. We use technology to discover patterns and monitor markets that help clients look for issues, like rouge traders. If a bank can discover a problem before its gets out of hand it can be a real benefit. In large banks the trading group used to be the only voice. They could turn off risk management. But in todays environment, regulators are becoming more concerned and banks are attempting to employ new surveillance technologies. As far as clients, we work with dozens of exchanges. Not only the big players, but the emerging players as well. There are many that are not yet public, including new clients in Europe , Middle East and Asia.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV