The bank posted a loss of 320 million pounds ($514.2 million) in 2010, a reversal from a profit of 2.83 billion pounds in 2009. Money set aside for bad loans fell 45% overall to 13.2 billion pounds but impairment charges in Ireland rose 49% to 4.3 billion pounds.
The bank, which is 41%-owned by the U.K. government, reported a higher-than expected pretax profit in 2010 of 2.2 billion pounds.
Lloyds, the U.K.'s top mortgage lender, said its net interest margin for 2011 would be unchanged.CEO Eric Daniels, who will be stepping down this week, said the rate of improvement in loan impairments that helped drive 2010 pretax profit wouldn't be as dramatic in 2011 amid slower British economic growth. That means that 2011 and 2012 profit estimates might need to be revised, analysts said, The Associated Press reports. -- Written by Joseph Woelfel
>To contact the writer of this article, click here: Joseph Woelfel >To submit a news tip, send an email to: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV