Loss from Continuing Operations of $0.13 per Diluted Share
Loss Included $0.09 per Diluted Share of Special Items
Engineered Products Sales up 15% - Outperformed the End MarketPreviously Announced Agreement to Acquire Edgetech I.G. Repurchased $1.5 million of Common Stock at Average Cost of $17.36 per Share HOUSTON, Feb. 24, 2011 (GLOBE NEWSWIRE) -- Quanex Building Products Corporation (NYSE:NX) today released fiscal 2011 first quarter results for the period ending January 31, 2011. Combined segment revenue and combined segment operating loss at the company's two businesses – Engineered Products and Aluminum Sheet Products – were $159.8 million and $0.1 million, respectively. Revenue was up compared to the year ago quarter due to the addition of new customers, new products, and customers building inventory to meet pre-buying demand ahead of the December 31, 2010, expiration of the $1,500 energy efficient window tax credit. Operating income was down due to costs associated with rationalizing operations, higher raw material costs and warranty expenses at Engineered Products, and lower shipped pounds at Aluminum Sheet Products. First Quarter Highlights
- On January 31, 2011, an agreement was announced to acquire Edgetech, a technological leader in insulating glass spacer products for residential and commercial windows.
- Consolidated segment revenue was $159.8 million compared to $151.4 million a year ago. Engineered Products revenue was $84.0 million compared to $72.8 million a year ago; Aluminum Sheet Products revenue was $79.1 million compared to $81.6 million a year ago.
- Consolidated segment operating loss was $0.1 million compared to income of $7.7 million a year ago. Engineered Products operating loss was $0.6 million compared to income of $4.1 million a year ago, and included expenses of $5.2 million related to the consolidation and closing of facilities (completed in Q1) and an increase in warranty accruals. Aluminum Sheet Products operating income was $0.6 million, down from $3.6 million a year ago due to lower shipped pounds.
- Loss from continuing operations before income taxes was $7.7 million compared to income of $1.8 million a year ago. The loss included $1.1 million of transaction costs associated with the pending acquisition of Edgetech I.G.
- Loss from continuing operations was $4.7 million compared to income of $1.1 million a year ago.
- Diluted loss per share from continuing operations was $0.13, which included $0.09 of special items, compared to income per share of $0.03 a year ago.
|Engineered Products results (in millions)|
|1 st qtr 2011||1 st qtr 2010|
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV