Global biotech major Genzyme (GENZ) attracted $1.1 billion worth of hedge fund purchases in the fourth quarter. John Paulson was a big buyer, snapping up an additional 4.93 million shares to take his total holding to over 6 million. SAC Capital, Eton Park and Farallon Capital were other prominent buyers.
After nine months of negotiation, Sanofi- Aventis (SNY) agreed to buy Genzyme (GENZ) for $20.1 billion in cash, with additional payments possible depending upon the performance of the latter's drugs. Shareholders will initially receive $74 per share and a potential $14 per share if drugs such as its multiple-sclerosis drug Lemtrada, Cerezyme and Fabrazyme, used to treat rare diseases, meet performance targets.Clearly Paulson's bet on the deal going through paid off. It will be interesting to see the changes in positions in Genzyme in his next quarterly filing now that the terms of the deal are out, as it would likely reflect the hedge fund titan's expectations on the performance of Genzyme's drug pipeline. Most sell-side analysts preferred to sit on the fence on that one, with 17 rating the stock a hold. Only three analysts rate the stock a buy.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV