NetSpend Holdings, Inc. Reports Fourth Quarter 2010 Results
The loss on extinguishment of debt during the twelve months ended December 31, 2010 relates to the $0.7 million write-off of remaining capitalized debt issuance costs associated with our prior credit facility.
(2) In addition to Adjusted EBITDA, we use a second non-GAAP financial metric that we label "Adjusted Net Income" to evaluate our financial performance. We compute Adjusted Net Income by adjusting net income or net loss to remove tax-effected amortization expense, stock-based compensation and other non-recurring gains and losses and we believe it is an important metric that is useful to our board of directors, management and investors for the following reasons:
- Assets being depreciated will often have to be replaced in the future and Adjusted EBITDA does not reflect any expenditure for these items;
- Adjusted EBITDA does not reflect the significant interest expense, or the payments necessary to service interest payments on our debt;
- Adjusted Net Income provides a meaningful comparison of our operating results over several periods because it removes the impact of income and expense items that are not a direct result of our core operations, such as goodwill and intangible impairments, legal settlements, one-time settlement gains and losses on the early extinguishment of long-term debt; and
- We believe Adjusted Net Income measurements are used by investors as a supplemental measure to evaluate the overall operating performance of companies in our industry.
By providing this non-GAAP financial measure, together with the above reconciliation, we believe we are enhancing investors' understanding of our business and our results of operations, as well as assisting investors in evaluating how well we are executing strategic initiatives.
Settlement (gains) and other losses during the twelve months ended December 31, 2009 relate to $9.0 million of recoveries of excess funds from our issuing banks for fee and chargeback recoveries and $1.2 million resulting from the settlement of certain litigation. Settlement (gains) and other losses during the twelve months ended December 31, 2010 relate to a $3.5 million loss related to a patent infringement dispute and a $0.8 million loss associated with a contractual dispute with a vender.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV