BOSTON (TheStreet) -- U.S. stocks are on pace to double last year's gains, with the S&P 500 Index up 3.8% so far in 2011. However, unrest in the Middle East has caused a correction. With economic growth expected to accelerate in the first quarter, stocks are still attractive. However, it's best to wait for the pullback to peter out before buying more. The following 10 stocks are among the best performers in the U.S. so far in 2011, ordered by return.
10. Tesoro (TSO) is an oil and gas refiner. Its stock has risen 27% so far in 2011. It has more than doubled in the past 12 months.
Tesoro swung to a modest fourth-quarter profit of $3 million, or two cents a share, from a loss of $179 million, or $1.30, a year earlier. Its revenue grew 20%. The operating margin climbed from negative territory to 0.3%. Tesoro's stock is still cheap, selling for a forward earnings multiple of 11, a book value multiple of 1.1 and a sales multiple of 0.2, 40%, 75% and 94% discounts to oil and gas industry averages.
12-Month Sales Growth: 23%
12-Month Net Income Growth: 79%
12-Month Earnings Per Share Growth: 77%
9. Big Lots (BIG) is a closeout retailer, selling food, health and beauty and furniture products. Its stock has rallied 30% in 2011, in part due to takeover rumors. Management is exploring a sale, possibly to private equity investors. Big Lots' fiscal third-quarter net income dropped 42% and earnings per share fell 38%, cushioned by a smaller float. Revenue inched up 2%. The operating margin contracted from 3.3% to 2.6%. Big Lots' stock sells for a trailing P/E of 15 and a forward P/E of 13, 27% and 33% peer discounts. It's expensive based on book value and cash flow. 12-Month Sales Growth: 5.7%
12-Month Net Income Growth: 25%
12-Month Earnings Per Share Growth: 24%
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV