TORONTO, Feb. 24 /PRNewswire-FirstCall/ - Maple Leaf Foods Inc. (TSX: MFI) today reported its financial results for the fourth quarter and the year ended December 31, 2010. Fourth quarter and full year highlights follow:
- Adjusted Operating Earnings increased 24% to $71.4 million in the fourth quarter and 13% to $222.0 million for the year - Fourth quarter adjusted Earnings per Share increased 42% to $0.27 and by 33% to $0.76 for the year - Net earnings in the quarter were $30.2 million compared to $21.9 million last year; net earnings for the full year, which included $71.3 million of non-cash pre-tax charges, were $25.8 million compared to $52.1 million last year
Note: Adjusted Operating Earnings measures are defined as earnings from operations before restructuring and other related costs, other income and the impact of the change in fair value of non-designated interest rate swaps. Adjusted Earnings per Share ("Adjusted EPS") measures are defined as basic earnings per share adjusted for the impact of restructuring and other related costs and the impact of the change in fair value of non-designated interest rate swaps, net of tax and non-controlling interest. Please refer to the section entitled Reconciliation of Non-GAAP Financial Measures at the end of this news release.
"Maple Leaf Foods delivered strong earnings growth in the fourth quarter, despite a sharp increase in raw material prices" said
Michael H. McCain, President and CEO. "These results reflect the benefits of cost reductions and price increases intended to help us keep pace with global food inflation, and some early benefits from the initial execution of our strategic plan. We expect the progress we are making in reducing our cost structure, simplifying our product lines, and streamlining our operations will contribute to earnings throughout 2011."
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass + 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV