Pan Am President Juan Trippe, one of the great pioneers of commercial aviation, encouraged Boeing to build a bigger aircraft. The first flight was in 1969 and Pan Am's first commercial flight took place on Jan. 21, 1970, on a New York-London route. By July 16, 1970, the worldwide 747 fleet had carried 1 million passengers.
In February 1971, the 100th 747 was delivered to another defunct carrier, Braniff Airlines . Later in 1971, the first Boeing 747-200 was delivered to KLM. But in the 1973 oil crisis, the price of a barrel of oil quadrupled to $12 a barrel. This led American (AMR) and Delta (DAL) to remove the 747 from their fleets.
The last delivery of the 100 was in 1986 to Japan Air Lines.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
Jim Cramer and Stephanie Link actively manage a real portfolio and reveal their money management tactics while giving advanced notice before every trade.
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
Jim Cramer's protege, David Peltier, identifies the best of breed dividend stocks that will pay a reliable AND significant income stream.
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
All of Real Money, plus 15 more of Wall Street's sharpest minds delivering actionable trading ideas, a comprehensive look at the market, and fundamental and technical analysis.
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
Our options trading pros provide daily market commentary and over 100 monthly option trading ideas and strategies to help you become a well-seasoned trader.
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV