Feb. 24, 2011
/PRNewswire/ -- For the second year, Real Estate Issues is the leading Pre-Paid Legal Services, Inc. (NYSE: PPD) legal service request from among an estimated 2.1 million requests from PPD's members (customers) during 2010.
The 342,000 requests for the real estate-related legal service inquires, represents approximately 16.2 percent of the total estimated 2.1 million legal service requests for 2010.
Real Estate, Landlord/Tenant Issues and Foreclosure
– The approximate 358,000 requests for legal services include residential and commercial real estate transactions, landlord and tenant issues and legal counsel related to foreclosure and short sales.
By category, the other top five legal service requests include:
– Approximately 198,000 or 9.4 percent of total requests for legal services related to retail transactions for warranties, guarantees and other contracts;
– Approximately 188,000 or 8.9 percent of total requests for legal services related to divorce, child support, child custody and child visitation;
– Approximately 187,000 or 8.9 percent of total requests for legal assistance related to moving violations, traffic tickets and auto accidents; and
– Approximately 153,000 or 7.2 percent of total requests for legal services to support members against other parties and to defend members from third-party debt collectors.
Along with Real Estate Issues, Consumer Finance and Family Law held the same respective positions in the 2009 legal service ranking, while Traffic Issues rose to the fourth position in the 2010 ranking. Collections fell to the fifth position in the 2010 ranking compared its fourth position in the 2009 ranking.
The top five legal service requests, totaling an estimated 1,068,000 requests, account for approximately 50 percent of the total legal services requests for the year. In addition to the top five legal service requests for 2010, Pre-Paid Legal Services provider law firms provided legal counsel on other major legal service requests including: 6) Estate Planning (approximately 150,000 requests), 7) Employment (approximately 118,000 requests), 8) Criminal violations (approximately 100,000 requests), 9) Civil Litigation (approximately 92,000 requests) and Bankruptcy (approximately 72,000 requests). The remaining 2010 legal service requests, an estimated 500,000 requests, were for a variety of legal issues and legal consultation requests.