3. Sterlite Industries (SLT) is a global player in the metals and mining sector, with a diversified portfolio consisting of non-ferrous metals.
Hampered by regulatory restrictions at its Tuticorin and Orissa projects, the stock has been underperforming the broader market indices, down 12% in the last year.
Sterlite completed the acquisition of 74% interest in Black Mountain Mining from Anglo American Group in South America. The acquisition includes Black Mountain zinc mine and Gamsberg zinc project, the company said in a press statement. Furthermore, the acquisition of Skorpion zinc mine in Namibia from Anglo American for around $700 million has also been concluded.On the operational front, production ramp up at its new smelters will augment volumes. Strong contributions from its power and zinc segments could improve earnings profile. Sterlite has a strong balance sheet with cash and cash equivalents of $6 billion, which can be used for organic and inorganic opportunities. The stock is currently trading at 11.2 times its estimated 2011 earning.
Check Out Our Best Services for Investors
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Model portfolio
- Stocks trading below $10
- Intraday trade alerts