5. Rio Tinto (RIO) is a global metal and mining player dealing in aluminum, copper, coal and iron ore. Rio sources bulk production from Australia and North America and operates in more than 50 countries.
Rio announced record underlying earnings of $14 billion in 2010, up 120% from 2009. Net debt reduced to $4.3 billion in 2010 from $19 billion in 2009.
Rio Tinto recently made an off-market takeover offer to acquire all the outstanding shares of Riversdale Mining at A$16 per share cash offer. The company divested the remaining 48% stake in Cloud Peak Energy (CLD) during December 2010.On future growth, the company's CEO Tom Albanese said, "We will continue to expand our tier-one assets following the $12 billion of major capital project approvals since the start of 2010. We have embarked on Australia's largest fully integrated mining project through the expansion of our iron ore business in the Pilbara toward 283 million tonnes a year by 2013, and continue to finalize studies into the phase two expansion to 333 million tonnes a year by 2015." The stock outperformed during 2010, gaining 33% during the last one year, and is currently trading at 7.2 times its 2011 earnings.
Select the service that is right for you!COMPARE ALL SERVICES
- $2.5+ million portfolio
- Large-cap and dividend focus
- Intraday trade alerts from Cramer
- Weekly roundups
Access the tool that DOMINATES the Russell 2000 and the S&P 500.
- Buy, hold, or sell recommendations for over 4,300 stocks
- Unlimited research reports on your favorite stocks
- A custom stock screener
- Upgrade/downgrade alerts
- Diversified model portfolio of dividend stocks
- Alerts when market news affect the portfolio
- Bi-weekly updates with exact steps to take - BUY, HOLD, SELL
- Real Money + Doug Kass Plus 15 more Wall Street Pros
- Intraday commentary & news
- Ultra-actionable trading ideas
- 100+ monthly options trading ideas
- Actionable options commentary & news
- Real-time trading community
- Options TV